[lug] gphoto for usb cameras

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu Jun 20 21:24:47 MDT 2002

Arlan> Their site suggests getting gphoto2, and a certain version (recent) of
Arlan> libusb.  I got them, but don't know where to put libusb.  I am only
Arlan> familiar with the standard `./configure etc'.  Any help will be
Arlan> appreciated.

If you can find libusb in the package format of your platform (RPM for
RedHat or Mandrake, dpkg for Debian, etc), then it should do it for
you.

Otherwise, I'd suggest:

1. Copy libusb.so (and whatever links/sub-versions) into
   /usr/local/lib

2. Make sure that /usr/local/lib is present in /etc/ld.so.conf

3. Run "ldconfig"

And see if that does the trick.

I ended up finding it easier to just use a usb-connected media reader,
instead of trying to connect the camera itself.

Good luck,
t.