[lug] shm filesystem and RH/KRUD 7.3

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Jul 16 12:50:34 MDT 2002

DS> Perhaps I should be more specific in this question: Does anyone
DS> know of any particular common application which actually takes
DS> advantage of [shared memory via /dev/shm]?

Apparently, it was originally used to support SAP R3 on Linux.

According to Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs, glibc 2.2+ expects to
have /dev/shm available for its internal POSIX shared memory calls.

Any particular reason why you are trying to remove it?

As you say, you can just remove it for now, and see if anything blows
up.

t.