[lug] shm filesystem and RH/KRUD 7.3

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Jul 17 22:55:04 MDT 2002

DS> If this "virtual" partition has as its size the max it can expand
DS> to, but is not actually pre-allocated (the way hard disk
DS> partitions are), then it would seem perfectly logical to never
DS> worry about it (I would think of the 160 MB as a quota limit).

To once again quote Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt (this is
probably getting to the hint point about now, no?):

   tmpfs puts everything into the kernel internal caches and grows and
   shrinks to accommodate the files it contains and is able to swap
   unneeded pages out to swap space. It has maximum size limits which
   can be adjusted on the fly via 'mount -o remount ...'

   [...]

   size:   The limit of allocated bytes for this tmpfs instance. The
           default is half of your physical RAM without swap. If you
           oversize your tmpfs instances the machine will deadlock
           since the OOM handler will not be able to free that memory.

I think that answers both your questions.

t.