[lug] kernel support for Athlon

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jul 22 14:19:10 MDT 2002

HI,
I recently ran into an interesting problem with AthlonXP CPUs:
I cannot compile a stable kernel when selecting Athlon as CPU type.  The identical kernel
configuration with one change: CPU Type = PentiumII ... works just fine.

My hardware:
- Tyan Motherboard, AMD-760 MPX chipset
- Single Athlon XP 1.9 GHz CPU
- NVIDIA GeForce4 video (using the NVIDIA driver)

Software:
- SuSE Linux 8.0 (using their 2.4.18 kernel)

A google search points to problems between Athlon CPUs and AGP video cards;  here is a
sample link:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Linux/35/175/7626960

Did anybody else on this list see similar problems / have answers to this issue.  I am not
on the kernel list and my info is purely based on a brief web search.

Ferdinand
--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation