[lug] ethernet duplex options, mysteries

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Aug 3 00:14:10 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> Don't feel bad!  We all feel silly at one time or another!
>
> ;-)
>
> As for the bridge, do both sides of a bridge communicate to the same
> network?  Wait, I guess they do, don't they.  Otherwise, you would have
> a router...

Yes, what this is is something like an invisible wire between a cable
modem and the network switch, where the switch will serve several
computers. The purpose is to some extent add security, it will block
quite a few ports. In addition, I will be adding QoS type adjustments to
make sure the upload bandwidth of the individual comps share fairly, and
that latency be tuned on one comp, while general download bandwith be
made available to others. Since each machine will be DHCP served with
individual IP's, a non-protocol-aware bridge is just what the doctor
ordered (and it looks like I can do some of the network adjustments
based not on IP, but on MAC address, though I still have to figure out
if this can be done without kernel patches).

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com