[lug] backup install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Aug 4 23:10:08 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:
> so i really have alot of configs and binaries here and there...so i
> would perfer
> to use some tiny boot distro to untar all of my backup without
> reinstalling...
> having winex and all my games restored...and transcode etc. etc.
> so could i use you script and set / as the sorce to tar? then just boot
> from
> floppy/cd with boot floppy and untar with a generic 'tar -xvf'?

You could do this if you create your tar from a pipe of cpio. Just try
copying /dev/urandom without it...smirk (I had a subdirectory nowhere
near /dev/, that had some device special files in it, didn't know it was
there...that cp took forever).

If I was going to directly cpio copy from one location to another,
maintaining structure, I'd use this (provided from my own BLUG Q a while
back):
find /Somewhere -print -xdev | cpio -pdm SomeDestination

However, you'd want to find a way to tar it instead of sending it
somewhere else...I'm not sure if cpio is needed in the middle, but I
suspect it is. A straight tar command without cpio would be:
tar -cvf NewTarName.tar filelist

To view tar contents without unpacking, use tar --list tarball.tar.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com