[lug] DVD too slow... do I need a major upgrade?

Ben Luey lueyb at gridley.ACNS.Carleton.edu
Wed Aug 7 23:16:36 MDT 2002

I just got xine (0.9.13)  working with my new 6x dvd drive (hitachi-2500)
and it works, but it is painfully slow and I'd guess no more than 10fps
(any way to check?). My hardware is a k6-300, 128meg ram, Diamond viper
330 (nvideo Riva128) and a ASUS-P5A motherboard. Kernel 2.4.8. Xfree 4.1.0
(mandrake 8.1)

When I run xine-check -- I've got three speed problems:

* no MTRR my k6-2 is earlier than revision 8 and doesn't support MTRR.

* No YUV overlays -- my card uses the nv drive and doesn't support it

* no Xvideo support -- again my graphics card.

My question is - how much of an upgrade do I need to order to enjoy
watching dvd's? (24fps at 1024x768 full screen)? Is it worth just getting
a new graphics cards that supports at least XVideo or will that not be
enough and do I need to get a new motherbaord/cpu (ie major upgrade). I
hate to ask this, but if I installed windows on dual boot, would it do a
better job with dvds?

Thanks,

Ben