[lug] Laptop screen gets out of sync

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Aug 22 15:45:33 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 15:30, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> One interesting thing I've discovered on my new laptop is that after the
> screen saver runs the screen ends shifted half way.  The bottom of th
> screen ends up accross the middle of the display with the top part
> beginning underneath that and running off the bottom of the screen.
> (Think of wrapping the display around a cylinder and rolling this up half
> way.)  Seems like a synchronization problem, but I haven't determined how
> to fix it.  Thought I'd see if there are any ready made fixes out there?

Hi Wade,

Uh, don't run the screen saver?  ;-)

Seriously, a number of the Xscreensaver modules will try to use OpenGL
calls and, on many graphics chipsets, the XFree86 3D implementations
(whether part of XFree or closed-source from, eg., nVidia) are buggy
and/or unstable.  In fact, I've had Xscreensaver crash so many systems
(we have a lot of old and odd hardware in our labs) that I now typically
turn it off or set it to something mostly harmless like the "Matrix"
screensaver.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311