[lug] How can I test a codepage module?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri Aug 23 08:04:35 MDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:22:26AM -0400, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 21:10, D. Stimits wrote:
> > If you logged in to a regular console, and used a text-based web browser
> > (e.g., lynx), and went to a web page using that character set, maybe it
> > would show up correctly. I'm not sure if using an X11-based browser
> > would depend on the same support, maybe it would use other fonts.

I don't think this will actually test codepages, D. Aren't you mixing
up codepages and locales here? Linux doesn't need any codepage support
per se - locales are handled entirely on the application level (glib
takes care of that, or at least it should :-)
Codepages are only needed for (broken?) filesystems such as the
FAT and VFAT filesystems of DOS.

> Thanks, that should work.  I found another way.  For some reason smbfs
> wants these code pages when it mounts a windows share.  I could generate
> error messages by mounting share.  After installing the modules the
> messages went away.

That's a good test - and the reason you need codepages in your kernel ...

  Ralf Mattes