[lug] gnutella uploads not working ???

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Fri Sep 6 14:48:03 MDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 scoffin at attbi.com wrote:

> Help!  I'm trying to get gtk-gnutella running on my KRUD 7.1
> machine, but only partially successful.  It can connect, search,
> and download files correctly, but no one can upload from me.
> Other linux networking stuff works as expected.
>
> I'm behind a D-Link NAT firewall, but I'm fairly sure it is
> configured correctly since both gnotella and morpheus seem to
> work correctly when run from windoze.  The IP and port addresses
> are the same in both linux and WinXP....
>
> Just a guess, but could there be some magic network configuration
> I'm missing on the Linux side to allow incoming traffic?
> inetd is not running and AFAIK ipchains or other linux firewall
> is not in use.  What tools can I use to see if linux is blocking
> uploads somehow?  Any comments appreciated....
>
> 				=S.Coffin
> 				GV Computing
> 				scoffin at attbi.com

I'm not familiar with gnutella.  As far as tools, nmap is a very handy
port-scanner:

	www.insecure.org/nmap/

You could use it to tell you what ports are open on your box.

You could use tcpdump to monitor traffic on your network behind your
firewall.  Thus, you could determine if gnutella requests are actually
making it onto your LAN (sounds like they are if gnutella works on your
Windows box).  I'm not familiar with KRUD, so I can't tell you if tcpdump
is installed by default.  It is OS, and I think there is even a Windows
version.

HTH
--
Cheerio!