[lug] Unix vs. Linux programming for TCP/IP

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Sep 19 23:47:20 MDT 2002

bof <bof at pcisys.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to learn more about Unix programming in general and TCP/IP
> programming in specific, and have been looking at the following
> sources:
>

>     Stevens's Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment (APUE)
>     Stevens's TCP/IP programming series (3 volumes)
>     Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP (3 volumes)
>
> In several of these the C code examples appear to be written for Unix
> --- the APUE book predates BSD4.4; the other Stevens's are for
> BSD4.4-Lite; the volume 2 of Comer is for ANSI C (OS unknown), while
> his volume 3 uses Linux.

I highly recommend Unix Network Programming vol. 1, by Richard
Stevens.  Most of the examples I've tried from the book require no
modification at all to run on any Linux distribution, for all
practical purposes.  In the rare places where Linus & company have
decided not to follow standards, they often have good reasons for
doing so, and someone sufficiently annoyed by the change usually
writes a wrapper layer into the C libraries to make things closer to
what you'd expect in the standards.

In other words, anything in that book is likely to work just fine.
It's a great book, but its primary fault is that it's too heavy to
take it and a laptop anywhere easily, if you're on foot.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility