[lug] kernel updates

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Oct 17 17:54:08 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:
> i recived a security notice from redhat telling me my the kernel
> in my 7.3 boxes need to be updated due to security issues. Is it
> recommended to do this via rpm with up2date?

I never use the rpm unless I want their stock kernel. And then I never
replace my old kernel, I just add a 2nd entry, and make sure that it
boots before I remove the original entry (in fact, I keep the old entry
until it is superceded by at least two kernels). Are you using the stock
kernel already? If not, use 2.4.19. And if the machine in question is
not a public machine with multiple accounts, you might still not need
it, the possible vulnerabilities were listed as local; other updates for
hardware probably are not needed if your hardware already worked
properly with current drivers/kernel-modules.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com