[lug] CVSROOT and CVS/Root

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Oct 22 11:54:44 MDT 2002

Anders Knudsen wrote:

>export CVS_RSH=ssh
>export CVSROOT=:ext:anders at cvs:/home/cvsroot
>#export CVSROOT=:pserver:anders at cvs:/home/cvsroot
>export CVSREAD=yes

I don't like to set CVSROOT, since I'm usually accessing
many different cvs servers.  Another approach would be
to have a different env. variable for each server and use
  cvs -d $SERVER1 ...

>Or switch between using
>ssh access :ext:, and internal :pserver: access?
>Please help mitigate my CVS ignorance on this, if there in fact is a
>solution.

There are two packages out there that I consider must-haves
for working with cvs.  One is Pavel Roskin's cvsutils.  The
other is Alexandre Oliva's cvs-utils.  Pavel's is on www.red-bean.com,
and Alexandre's is on subversions.gnu.org.

One of these (I forget which) has the "cvschroot" command which
will let you change repositories for a tree quite easily.

There are other useful utilities in these packages.  I use commands
from both literally every day.

Tom