[lug] Motherboard recommendations?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Oct 25 20:28:48 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 17:57, j davis wrote:
> >On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 10:39, Chip Atkinson wrote:
> > > I agree on the weird compaq or hp stuff though.  The kind of right angle
> > > configuations where there is one big slot and a daughter board plugs
> >into
> > > it with the real expansion slots sucks.
> >
> >That is one of the standard motherboard types.  It's very useful for
> >saving space.  Not everyone wants a huge tower.
> >
> >    v- PCI daughtercard
> >
> >---|  <- PCI
> >---|  <- PCI
> >---|  <- PCI
> >----  <- Motherboard
> >
> >What don't you like about it?  I suppose it makes it a pain to change
> >memory or CPU, but how often do you do that, really?
> ><< signature.asc >>
>

> what if anypart of that box dies.....your server is down until
> you can contact customer support and convience the techs that
> linux us not the root of all your problems.

I'm just standing up and defending the motherboard layout.  I'm saying
that it _isn't_ weird proprietary HP stuff.  I'm saying that it is a
useful design for saving space.  In some cases the daughtercard even
makes it easier to work on because it allows you to remove the
motherboard but leave the PCI cards in the box.

It's one of the standard layouts: NLX, I believe.  You may not be able
to buy one at your local parts store, but you can order one online
(Pricewatch lists several).

I felt I should respond because Chip stated his opinion that the NLX
motherboard design "sucks."  I don't agree.

Also, how does the motherboard design force you to call customer
support?