[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Nov 5 12:31:11 MST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 22:15, Dale R. Hill wrote:
> I am trying to set up Samba so that I can share files with my Win2000
> workstation. I installed the samba 2.2.3a-6 from my 7.3 distro. When I
> execute: rpm -qa | grep samba I see: samba-common-2.2.3a-6 and
> samba-client-2.2.3a-6

There is an additional package that needs to be installed if you want to
run a samba server (i.e. have windows see the linux box) using the
redhat rpms.

samba-<version number>   server code
samba-client-<version number> client code
samba-common-<version number> code that is common to both of the above
packages.

Install the samba-2.2.3a-6 rpm from your cd and samba-swat-2.2.3a-6 rpm
as well to go for the easy config.

so I am assuming that I have all of the correct
> pieces.

Nope.  See above.

Hugh