[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Wed Nov 6 09:50:15 MST 2002

Michael J. Hammel writes:
> > * Make sure you don't have the XP firewall blocking Samba.
> Not sure how to check that.  \

Control Panel > Network Connections.  You'll see a list.  Right click,
Properties > Advanced > [checkbox] Protect my computer.  Click on
Settings for details.

> > * Make sure the Linux box doesn't have a firewall blocking Samba.
>
> That I can check, once I find out what port Samba is one (or smb, I
> guess).  If my problem isn't a user configuration/password issue then
> I'm betting it's a firewall issue.  I need to turn in logging for the
> firewall again - of course I've forgotten how to do that too.  *sigh*
> (But I'll figure it out - that's Linux, not XP.)

You need both:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport -s <localnet> -d <localnet> \
    --destination-port netbios-ns,netbios-dgm,netbios-ssn -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m multiport -s <localnet> -d <localnet> \
    --destination-port netbios-ns,netbios-dgm,netbios-ssn -j ACCEPT

> I have a public share set up and is, in fact, the one I'm trying to
> access.  This is the config for it:
>
> [public]
>    comment = MP3 Files
>    path = /usr2/mp3
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
> I added
>    guest ok = yes
>
> today, but that didn't work either.  I'm still getting "this account is
> not authorized to access that resource" on the XP box when I try
> \\<ipaddr> in Start->Run.

What does /var/log/samba/log.* say?

> my daughter's Win95 box croaked and she is now happily using Linux instead

Obviously this is the best solution. :-)

Rob