[lug] script kiddie

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Mon Dec 2 03:46:41 MST 2002

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 09:20:08PM -0700, Scott A. Herod wrote:
> [...]
>
> I agree with Dan but I HIGHLY recommend that you not mention that you
> climbed around in the box for awhile.  A polite note that you saw
> attempted connections from the machine that are similar to those used by
> r00t.sh might be best.

Let me jump in here: _please_ do _not_ post the IP and other
details of a hacked box on a public mailing list! The (sad) fact
that a box got hacked doesn't give anybody the right to use it
as a playground -- if you want to find out about current hacking
techniques, put up a honey pot for yourself ;-)
Using an open backdoor and snooping arround is considered a criminal
offense in many countries.

 Ralf Mattes