[lug] Problems with WINE

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Dec 2 21:02:18 MST 2002

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> I have been having trouble with WINE on my Debian system for quite some
> time...
>
> The machine in question has Windows 2000 installed natively.  I am
> currently running WINE 0.0.20021125 (the Debian package).  Anytime I try
> to run a Windows application (*any* application), the Windows
> application crashes on startup (example below).
>
> I a message dialog saying something like "unknown has generated errors
> and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An
> error log is being created."
>
> Any insights on this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -d
>
> Here is what I see on the command line when running Mozilla (which I
> have run successfully before on other systems):
>
> WAY2FONKY$ wine /windoze/Program\ Files/mozilla.org/Mozilla/moz
> mozMapi32.dll  mozctl.dll     mozctlx.dll    mozilla.exe    mozreg.dll
> WAY2FONKY$ wine /windoze/Program\ Files/mozilla.org/Mozilla/mozilla.exe
> find: /usr/bin/../lost+found: Permission denied

"Permission denied" looks like a good place to start. Why is it trying
to find files in the lost+found directory of linux? I don't have any
experience with wine, but if it can be run as root, give it a shot...see
what happens if you temporarily give rx perms to that particular
lost+found (chmod 755). And if you ever try to write to an NTFS
partition (is this vfat or NTFS?), you are out of luck...if you are
actually brave enough to add write support to NTFS, you are better off
crashing wine than succeeding.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com