[lug] Flash + Netscape + XMMS lock-up

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Dec 4 12:30:09 MST 2002

This is a common problem, and I was wondering if anyone's figured out a
solution yet...

If I'm using XMMS (or really any program playing sound) to listen to
music, and in Netscape I open a page that has Flash, Netscape locks up.
If I stop playing the music-- thus freeing the sound card-- Netscape
pops back to life and loads the Flash just fine.

Searching on Google reveals that many people have experienced this, but
I couldn't find any mention of a workaround.  I'm fine with having the
Flash just open silently (even if it does include sound); it's just
terribly annoying to have to turn the music off to load some idiot's
Flash-enabled ad banner.

TIA,
Jeff