[lug] Typesetting Programs

Philip Cooper Philip.Cooper at openvest.org
Thu Dec 12 13:58:55 MST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:01:29PM -0700, David Morris wrote:
> I was wondering what people out there use for typesetting?
I echo that LaTeX is worth the effort as you cannot outgrow the
functionality of the program.  The first time you try to change the
layout you may go mad--steep learning curve.  Great EMACS mode(AucTex)
and vim tools to help editing.  Lyx is a GUI/training wheels approach
to LaTeX.

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is Lout.  Comes with most disrto's
and is a simpler more user friendly version of LaTex.  If all of the
learning curve talk has you wary look at Lout.

For HTML there is LaTeX2HTML (www.latex2html.org) and a host of others
(ThH tex4ht etc)

> Note that the end product in both cases will be a printed
> hardcopy *and* a PDF file.  The ability to easily put the
> same document onto a web page is a bonus, but not
> required....a tools that offers more options/better
> formatting that does not have HTML support will be chosen
> over a lesser tools that does.
>

> TeX/LaTeX was the next obvious choice, and I am slowly
> working through documentation to find out if it will do all
> I need.
It will

>  Anyone have any recommendations?  Good documentation is a
> must as for the auto-documentation task, other people will
> have to make modifications to the generation process.

You can write your own environments and others can work on one section
without having to know the hard stuff (which you will have to learn to
write an environment).

Good luck

--
Phil Cooper