[lug] modem question

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Dec 26 07:08:03 MST 2002

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 12:44:58PM -0700, Ernie Stiltner wrote:
>Trying to bring up a modem. And get the less than helpful message from
>kdialer - "invalid netmask value - crtscts". Nothing apparent in the help

It sounds to me like you have a munged pppd config file.  In specific,
it sounds like there is something like:

   [...]
   netmask
   crtscts
   [...]

The "netmask" option takes a value, and it's not present, so it's
picking up the next option as the netmask, which is invalid.  That's
what the above error report indicates anyway.

I see a few other reports of that same error with KPPP on google, but
didn't pursue them.  Perhaps try "wvdial"?

Sean
--
 "The phrase ``ship it!'' is one with long and deep resonances in my
 benighted and antiquated big-software-dept career." -- John Shipman, 1998