[lug] SPAM filters

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu Jan 9 09:56:57 MST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:00:44PM +0000, ryan.wheaton at attbi.com wrote:
> Ideally, what i'd like to do is set something up on a linux box and just
> stick it in front of the exchange server to filter all that crap out
> (that's a > real technical statement.)

Ryan,

Spamassassin is the best spam filter I've seen.  At clients I've worked
with, I've set it up in exactly the way you're proposing: Linux box
running Spamassassin in the DMZ, with the Exchange server inside on the
corporate network.  Not only does this give you an inexpensive anti-spam
solution, but it provides a layer of security for your Exchange server and
it's exploit-of-the-day. (obviously you will want to make sure to harden
the Linux box.)

Regarding your compatibility question, Spamassassin on Linux will be
compatible with every piece of email you get. :-)  Seriously, it looks like
they have aimed at compatibility with UNIX systems.

-k