[lug] combatting hard drive heat

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Feb 23 11:04:36 MST 2003

They get cold on one side and hot on the other.  They conduct heat "one-way"
when a current is applied to them.

There are peltier-based CPU coolers on the market now, but I'd not use them
on any CPU/motherboard combo that doesn't shut the machine down if the CPU
temp goes high -- how many times have I been inside a machine and knocked a
cable loose?

If it's a power cable to a fan, I notice immediately... I wouldn't see the
change in a peltier... and from the conversation a while back about the
Athlon CPU/mo-bo combos having a tendency to eat themselves alive... well...
ouch.

Ahh... Google... I googled and found this short but nice and geeky
description...

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/sep99/938380875.Ph.r.html

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com