[lug] Belkin wireless card NG!!!

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Sun Mar 2 21:34:48 MST 2003

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my recent experience with the Belkin F5D6020 Ver. 2.  It
doesn't work with Linux.  Basically, Ver 2 of this card is based on the Atmel
502A chipset, however Atmel's opensource drivers don't properly initialize the
card; and the MAC address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00.  Now, that ain't right.

So, I went back to Officemax, and this week the Microsoft wireless 802.11b card
is on sale.  Well, I plugged that into my Linux machine, and BAM, it works!!!
I'm on my neighbor's WAP, and the Internet!  After modifying the config files, I
was then connected to my WAP.  Interestingly enough, I had problems in Windows
with this card.  I couldn't get the card to "see" my WAP, until I moved the WAP
right next to the card.  It kept listing and connecting to my neighbor's WAP
(which *is* a Microsoft WAP; mine is a Belkin).  Very interesting...

Viggy

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK