[lug] athlon to athlon-xp

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Mar 6 20:43:24 MST 2003

* jd (lug at taproot.bz) wrote:
> Hello,
>  I have a rh7.3 box running a 2.4.18-3 kernel running on a
> Athlon 1.2ghz chip and the kt266a chipset. I just received
> a Athlon-XP 2000+ and have replaced the older 1.2 with it.
>
> Is there anything i can do to optimize my system for this new chip
> ....like recompiling kernel for the SSE flag or something ? :)

You can reconfigure your kernel for the Athlon architecture.  I
generally have had *very* bad luck trying to compile a kernel that had
any special optimizations -- just let the kernel handle the
optimizations.  But setting the Athlon Arch config option should make
sure that the kernel uses all of the features of your chip that is finds
helpful and knows about

2.4 only has an Athlon config option.  It seems like 2.5 has
AthlonXP in addition.  So if you already had an Athlon kernel, you may
have to switch to 2.5 to try and take advantage of SSE in you XP chip

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==