[lug] Linux hardware

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Mar 6 22:10:39 MST 2003

Daniel Webb wrote:

> >Out of curiosity, Daniel, what compiler are you using for the Intel and
> >AMD processors?  I recall hearing that Intel's floating point operations
> >are not nearly as good as AMD's but that gcc doesn't take advantage of
> >some of the AMD's capabilities.  Does that seem reasonable based on your
> >experience?
>

>   We're just using gcc since it's what we know.  Someone in the other
> group may need to run some Fortran90 code, though, so GNU won't cut it for
> that.  Any recommendations out there for a free or low cost Fortran90
> compiler?
>
>   If what you say is true, then the AMD advantage for my problem
> (integration) will be even greater, and the comparison should be about
> the same for the other group's problem (collision search).
>
>   We haven't had time to look into any kind of parallelization approach,
> and I just got everything running right a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure
> how we're going to handle all this processing power.  Condor (a really
> powerful batch scheduler) just went free-software, by the way, so that's
> probably what we'll use eventually.

You might want to consider the Portland Group pgcc compiler, but it is
not free. It is supposed to have very good performance in both the c/c++
and fortran world. If you make comparisons using programs compiled on
that compiler, then it is probably a reasonable measure of how good an
"optimized" app can run on the hardware. I have no personal experience
with the compiler, but people who know what they are doing have
commented on this many times.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com