[lug] Expertise needed...but a Windows question

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:51:12 MST 2003

The Matt wrote:
> OK, folks, as I say above, this is a Windows question, but I want you
> opinions on what I should say/ask my ISP and modem manufacturer when I
> call them tomorrow (the ISP is here in Boulder--CU--so no joy today).
>
> To wit, I use a dual-boot XP/RedHat box connected to bridged DSL via an
> Actiontec 1520 modem (so I use Qwest), and I am having problems in
> XP[1].
>
> My problem is, for some reason, many programs will not connect to the
> internet.  For example, Mozilla 1.3a works, but 1.3b and 1.3 do not
> (they stop with an XPCOM like error).  Opera (latest version as of
> yesterday) doesn't work.  MikTeX Upgrade Wizard doesn't work (but did
> with an Intel USB modem!).  The old version of Spybot, does, the new 1.2
> does not.
>
> The modem is set up bridging and using NAT (which it must).  No firewall
> (XP's, Zone Alarm, or the one in the modem) is running.

As always, The Matt spoke too soon.  It turns out that the fine folks
from Zone Labs kept a service running.  So, no new programs would get
through an "invisible" firewall service that was running (not visible in
Task Manager!).

So, after uninstalling, erasing (Gutmann-style, 35 time) the folder, and
running a registry cleaner to rid myself of every trace of the software,
voila!

I guess I'm spoiled by "ps aux" on Linux.

Sorry for the bother,
Matt

--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good