[lug] CSS Question - Really Trivial

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 24 14:05:00 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 14:01, D. Stimits wrote:
> The Matt wrote:
>
> > As the Subject line says, this isn't important, but it got me to
> > wondering about CSS and its capabilities.  Looking at Red Hat's RH9
> > (marketing?) page:
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/mktg/rh9iso/
> >
> > I was struck by how much I hated that "offset" text look of the "Option
> > #"  But, I thought, it'd be interesting to make up a CSS stylesheet that
> > could do that, if possible.
> >
> > So, to any CSS gurus out there, is there a way to get that "offset text
> > in a box" look like that without resorting to "text images"?  I'm
> > guessing no, but I've been surprised by the power of CSS before.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
>
> I'd have to do a lot of trial and error to get it right, but the answer
> is "yes, depending on the browser". Likely the most painless browser to
> get the CSS to do that on is the latest Mozilla, perhaps IE 6 as well. I
> definitely wouldn't count on older browsers to be able to do that via
> CSS, which is probably why they used an image and table features instead
> of pure CSS.

That was my guess as to why they used images.  Heck, my sad "home page"
(which is where I fool around with CSS, et al) is served as
application/xhtml+xml, so that shows you how little I use IE.  Doesn't
even show up! (Or didn't the last time I tried.)
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good