[lug] Installation Guidance Needed

Charlie Rose ros5e at ISAaC.com
Mon Mar 31 19:59:40 MST 2003

Gentlefolk!

I'm brand new to Linux, and need some hand holding. I want to install
Mandrake Linux 9.0 on an old 50 MHz 486 machine I have (I'll move it up to
a better machine when I'm able). The hard-drive on this computer is kaput,
so I'm going to replace it with an unformatted, unpartitioned disk I picked
up on the cheap.

I figure I'll install the hard drive, configure the BIOS for it, run FDISK
(from a bootable Windows 98 floppy I have), and then format it. But the Big
Question is: What do I do then? How can I get the computer to look at the
CD, and how do I get the installation started when there isn't already an
OS of some kind on the hard drive that will let me get to the CD?

With much appreciation ....
Charlie Rose               FAX: 303-545-6674
Innovative Scientific Analysis and Computing
P.O. Box 1636, Boulder, Colorado, 80306-1636

Web Site:                  <http://www.ISAaC.com>
My PGP Public Keys: <http://www.ISAaC.com/pgp_keys.html>