[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

J. Wayde Allen wallen at village.org
Wed Apr 16 17:01:47 MDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> It would be nice to have posting guidelines on the LUG page.  Perhaps with
> a link included in the subscribe email.  And /maybe/ in the stuff appended
> by the MLM.
>
> A list of things to start discussion:
>
> - No HTML email.
> - No attachments (Maybe no bins and no attachments over 5k or something.
> (for reference my XF86Config is 3k, but not very elaborate.))
> - Use a subject
> - Be on topic (meaning be at least one of the following):
>    - Explicitly Linux related
>    - Relevant to a component of a non-exotic Linux system (i.e. a UNIX
> shell, a scripting or programming language commonly used on Linux
> systems (perl, C, NOT VB), a piece of sw commonly used on Linux systems
> (Apache, MySQL, NOT IE).
>
> Also, why not run a free-for-all list?  I'd love to hear Andrew's views on
> the monetary system, but I never make it to meetings.  It'd be nice to be
> able to extend the social interaction that has grown up between us around
> Linux -- beyond Linux.

Much of what you suggest already exists in a number of ways, some of which
has been forgotten and unused.  All of your suggestions could easily be
implemented, and Sean used to run several free-for-all lists I
think.  Don't know if any of those are still alive or not?

The current collection of mailing lists supported by BLUG can be seen at:

Of these the meta list is very old and essentially no longer used.  That
list could probably be eliminated.  There is also a IRC channel, I haven't
visited there for some time.  Don't know if there is much activity there
these days?  Then there is the wiki site <http://lug.boulder.co.us/Wiki>.
I don't really know too much about that.

> I'd happily take on the admin duties of such a list.  (For the record I
> was the primary admin of /all/ of the SquirrelMail lists for 18+ months.)

Hmmmm ... if you are willing to take over list operations I'd be willing
to step aside.  I've been maintaining these lists since I founded the BLUG
nine or so years ago.  Lately the load of spam hitting the list has gotten
to be rather burdensome, not to mention that maybe it is time that someone
else take care of this for a while.

Actually, I think that BLUG really needs to establish an elected
administrative body.  Without such a mechanism it is too easy to get
locked into a task here.  There really needs to be a graceful way for
administrative tasks to turn over.

- Wayde
  (wallen at village.org)