[lug] pitfalls of C++ with ncurses?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon May 5 15:26:05 MDT 2003

Tkil wrote:

> DS> I found docs for one such wrapper, but it was written in around
> DS> 1998, and apparently abandoned.
>
> Are you perhaps talking about:
>
>    http://smurman.best.vwh.net/Drat/

This one seems ideal, but the licensing is not any of the familiar gpl,
lgpl, bsd, x11, so on licenses. I may end up writing my own version, or
possibly using this. Also, the web site for download is currently timing
out for me.

> It seems to have some of those bases covered, and they claim that 2.8
> compiles it (and that at least some of it has been converted to STL).
>
> DS> There appears to be not one shred of docs on the ncurses-c++-devel
> DS> rpm's, other than acknowledgement that they exist. The gnu.org web
> DS> pages are also quite vague relative to C++ documentation. Oh well.
>
> Gag.  :(
>
> There are a few more hits; doing a Google search for:
>
>    "C++" curses wrapper
>
> Got me some of these:
>
>    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-ncurses/2003-03/msg00030.html

This one does not seem complete yet.

> There's also an explicit mention of "C++ Bindings" in the ncurses
> changelog.  What's that all about?

Ahh, this is the question! So far I've seen references to it, but no
details. I see the header file for it, but no information aside from the
header itself.

> Anyway.  I agree that there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on a
> C++ wrapper for curses, so I find myself surprised.  If you're
> comfortable in C++, it should be fairly easy to write wrappers for the
> basic functions; that could be a fun exercise.  Also, even if Drat has
> been unmaintained since 1998, it might be a base to start off.

I don't think it was Drat that was referred to in the original docs,
this too was unclear. The licensing for Drat is a problem, though
perhaps not as much as a purely commercial license. If I can get the
ncurses to just initialize without a seg fault in C++, I'll write my own
interface.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com