[lug] RedHat 9?

efm at tummy.com efm at tummy.com
Wed May 21 09:56:01 MDT 2003

* On 2003-05-21 15:50 Elyse Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
> Just received the May KRUD disks, which are now based off RedHat 9. The
> transition 7.x to 8 was messy (there's stuff I still haven't gotten
> working again since the update). And now I'm using my laptop for work
> related stuff and don't have a lot of time to spend retweaking it.
>
> Does anyone have any feelings for how ugly this transition is likely to
> be? Upgrade at lunch? Upgrade this evening? Wait for the long weekend?
> Run away screaming and reconsider switching to mandrake (since I'm a
> KDE user...)?
>
> I know that RedHat 9 breaks qmail... any other gotchas to watch out for?

PHP needed tweaking.

I did a fresh install, not an upgrade. (I do fresh installs once a year,
just to remove kruft.) I needed to pick up Java 1.4 from Sun.

There were two other things I needed to install, but I can't remember what
they were. They were available as rpms, so it was pretty easy.

I'm very happy with 9. The fonts are lovely, suspend on my laptop works,
other than that, it feels more like a polish release than a major version
change.

With the backup, install and tweaking, I'd say the install took under
an hour, and the tweaking took around another half an hour over the next
couple of days.

                            http://www.tummy.com/