[lug] Qwest DSL modem

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Jun 21 18:47:12 MDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:41:25PM -0600, Ben Luey wrote:
> I'm going to get DSL from Qwest and they want to charge me $5/month to
> rent a DSL modem (ActionTec 1520). They claim that only this modem (and
> two intel internal models) work with their dsl service. Is this true? Can
> I buy a (any?) dsl modem and save the $5/month? If so, any recommendations
> on modems to get (ideally something with two ethernet ports, so I don't
> need to buy a hub also)?

I _suspect_ that a Cisco 678 will also work.

If I were in your shoes I'd plead with them to let you use a 678 - I've had pretty poor experiences with the Actiontec (I know of 4 installations - all of them must periodically power-down/power-up the Actiontec after it goes catatonic).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)