[lug] System configuration files

Joseph McDonald joem at uu.net
Tue Jul 29 15:12:50 MDT 2003

> > Don't use /var for configuration files.  /var is for changing data
> > files.  /etc is the place for configuration data.  /etc is like the
> > Registry in Windows.
>
> Don't you insult my /etc!!! ;-)

my @registry = `cat /etc/*.conf | sort` :P

We use /etc/servers/service/rev/

something like:

        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/

that way one can have multiple versions of applications running on one
system. In addition we have:

        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/conf/
        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/bin/
        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/start
        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/stop
        /etc/servers/apache/1.3.28/restart

etc.

Easy to script around for restarts via monitoring and stuff like that.

PS I sent something like this earlier to this list, but from the wrong e-mail account
   so you may see this message from me 2x.

	--joey