ALSA was Re: [lug] KRUD comments wanted

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 13 18:43:53 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 17:09, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> 1. I wanted to switch to ALSA.  Took me less time to download, install,
> configure, and test the freshrpms than it would have just to compile from
> the tarballs.  (Not to mention realizing I needed a different kernel
> source RPM, then troubleshooting a suddenly non-functional NIC once I got
> the sound working.)

Actually, as an aside, ALSA isn't that bad to compile.  I recently added
a Gentoo partition to my home box and getting ALSA was not as bad as I
thought.  Of course, I had Gentoo's Portage to do the compilation for
me...so it could be much more difficult than I know.

--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good