[lug] colo at home info

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Aug 14 19:32:42 MDT 2003

B Giles said:
> A quick recap for those who were wondering what I learned about
> (cheap)  colocation at home options.
>
> 1) Comcast only seems to have "comcast pro" as an option, which is
> really no  improvement over standard service.  I'm sure it's great if
> you're a gamer,  but it's in the same residential block of IP
> addresses so you'll have some  of your services blocked, you don't
> have a static IP address ("persistent IP  address" is not the same),
> etc.  Colocated systems need faster uploads, not  faster downloads,
> and 5 persistent IP addresses (which are tied to a MAC  address so you
> can't easily stack them on a single piece of hardware) isn't  any
> better than one.
>
> Still, it turns out that they aren't blocking inbound port 25, yet.
> They do  seem to be blocking port 80, undoubtably because of all of
> the idiots  running IIS without knowing it.

Things /might/ be different where you are, but . . .

I'm in South Denver (just NE of 225 and 25) and (vanilla "consumer")
Comcast, AFAICT, doesn't block anything.  To see a webserver running at
port 80 go to http://home.hutnick.com.  I also relay mail (this one for
example) through this connection, though I don't use it as an MX.

When I signed up I was assured by a (level 2) tech in *Oregon* that no
ports are blocked. So I am skeptical that it varies by locale.

-Peter