[lug] how to track forged packets in a virus spoof

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Aug 22 00:06:42 MDT 2003

Mr Viggy wrote:

> Interesting you should mention filtering.  When I asked my ISP what a
> "VPN safe static IP address" was, they told me that they would "remove"
> all the filters from my IP.
>
> At the time I didn't think anything of it.  But now I'm thinking that
> perhaps my ISP performs this filtering you speak of (they certainly
> don't filter incomming crap; I get scanned and probed ALL the time).
>
> Viggy

That sounds more like they filter certain port numbers, since in a VPN
connection you'd be using your assigned IP address and tunneling other
IP addresses through the encrypted "pipe" inside your normally-addressed
and routed packets.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

"A mind is like a parachute--you should open it only in certain
very specific life-threatening situations." - Frank Willison