[lug] Console Hardware

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 27 18:03:42 MDT 2003

Joseph McDonald wrote:

>>$15 Pentium-I machine and a serial null-cable?
>

> Oh yea, forgot to mention, rack mountable and 1u in size..

I'm trying to keep this cheap here!  :-)  1RU is going to cost much more
money!  ;-)

Can you get an analog phone line?  A modem hanging off the serial port
of the Dell in auto-answer mode without any intelligence on the part of
the Dell, or you could run mgetty/ppp.

I don't know of any 1RU product that's going to be cheap enough to
justify to most folks these days... when you can get Via C3 chipset
mini-computer type machines so cheap...

Something like that might be more useful than just a console box...?

I've seen some pretty small non-rack-mount cases for those.

That 1RU requirement hurts...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com