[lug] upgrading from redhat-6.1

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Sat Sep 6 14:14:30 MDT 2003

Kevin wrote:

> First off, I would suspect it might be easier to just backup the
> users data and do a clean install.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I find that when doing a major upgrade it's
invariably easier to just preserve the user data and reinstall the OS.
It saves a lot of time, headache, and frustration.  In attempting an
upgrade there will be hundreds of dependency problems, as each package
you try to upgrade will undoubtably depend on a newer version of some
other package.  The incompatibilities between RPM 3 and 4 are only the
beginning.

As a general rule, I try to keep all the user data in /home and make
sure all my application data (e.g., Apache, SSH, FTP, DNS configuration
files) can be dumped to a tar file.  This allows me to upgrade the OS
wholesale, then reinstate the users via an /etc/passwd replacement, and
get all the applications back the way I want by untarring my archive.
Just be sure when you're running the install you don't reformat /home!
;)

Good luck,
Jeff