[lug] new idea about os's

Ian S. Nelson nelsonis at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 06:31:59 MDT 2003

I agree, it's a bad metaphor unless you believe that the issue of
security is intractable.   To the mcpmag crowd, it may very well be an
intractable problem, I'm not sure how you address it in their world.
There are some notable examples of "certified" secure systems and
systems where security was of paramount concern having vulnerabilities
that were discovered after they were deployed,  Trusted Solaris just had
one.  It's definitely a difficult problem but not an insolvable one.
(There are also "certified" secure systems that have no known record of
vulnerability)

The question of it being solvable for the masses on the cheap might be
more interesting.  So many of the practices the windows running masses
operate by, clicking on attachments, rich active content in browsers and
web space with active-x components (sure it makes for coolish web
sites,)  and many more make it an interesting problem.  How do you tell
someone who doesn't understand that actually running that "joke" their
friend sent them may be a bad thing?  Then there are spywares like gator
that kind of do a function for some people and they knowingly install
that stuff while it probably violates every corporate policy around and
who knows if it actually does something bad.

Ian