[lug] debian setup tool

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sun Oct 12 01:40:48 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 23:49, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 10:43:38PM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > The 2.4.18-386 kernel image worked.  Now I need to get pcmcia working
> > appropriately (so I can use my wireless card).  When I first installed
> > debian, I was lead through a number of system configuration items.  I
> > was told "run foo to revisit this configuration process"  I can't
> > remember what foo was.  I went looking for debconf (it had stuck in my
> > mind) and found that debconf isn't actually a command.  I found
> > dpkg-reconfigure, but you have to know the names of the subsystems ahead
> > of time.
> >
> > I did a locate on setup and install and didn't find anything useful.
> >
> > Along this same vein, what is the debian equivalent to redhat's
> > chkconfig and service?
> >

> In debian, pcmcia support in the kernel is a separate package from the
> kernel. Look for a package with name starting with 'pcmcia' and version
> numbers that match the version numbers of your kernel.

Yup, noticed that.  Unfortunately, the default config.opts froze my
system, so I borrowed redhat's and that helped.  I also had to switch
the PCIC option to yenta_socket.

/etc/init.d/pcmcia no works w/o problems, but the wireless card isn't
recognized.  I added an entry for the card in /etc/pcmcia/config but
iwconfig still doesn't see it.

Hugh