[lug] debian

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Mon Oct 13 22:42:08 MDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 05:09:43PM -0600, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> Comments inline...
>
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 at 18:49 -0400, Hugh Brown soliloquized thusly:
> > Is it possible to have stable and testing in /etc/apt/sources.list at
> > the same time?
>
> Yep.  Just put in sources for each.  For example:
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
>

> > If so, I tried to do an apt-get update after putting the testing in and
> > apt konks out complaining about tk8 and not being able to read the
> > Packages list.
> >
> > I'm trying to get a more recent kernel, since the orinoco_cs module in
> > 2.4.18 barfs on my wireless card (when it is under heavy network load)
> > that is fixed in the 2.4.22 kernel.  I'd also like to get XFree 4.3
> >
> > Hugh
>
> If you want something from testing, just do
>
> 	apt-get install -t testing <package name>
>
> HTH,

Beware! Testing uses a different version of libc6 from Stable. It is
very hard (impossible?) to mix packages between stable and testing, this time.

To get kernel 2.4.22, download the source package, and the make-kpkg package,
and make your own kernel package under stable. Then install your own kernel
package.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com