[lug] quick OT: PCMCIA

Jonathan rise at knavery.net
Thu Nov 6 17:30:12 MST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> Is it "just a bit" too big, or does it neatly fill both slots?  For
> historical reasons beyond me cards that take up one slot (or just a bit
> more) are "type II" and cards that consume a pair of type II slots are
> "type III."

The PCMCIA spec defined types I & II in June 1990 - I is 3.3mm thick
versus 5.0mm for type II.  Type III wasn't defined until November
1992.  I believe that some of the so-called type II cards out there
are actually type I since I've seen some thinner than normal PC Cards
over the years.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/op/formPCCard-c.html
bhttp://pcmcia.org/pccardstandard.htm

--
Jonathan Conway                                                rise at knavery.net
      Don't worry about politics so much.  From time to time, the tree of