[lug] Microsoft charging fee for each digicam made

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri Dec 5 17:46:47 MST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:41:13PM -0700, Mr Viggy wrote:
> My impression was that the charge was not for storing the information,
> but for the format that the stored information is in.
>
> So, if the camera mfgr changes their format to, say, ext2, Microsoft
> can't claim patent infringement.

Yes, but that's highly unlikely. The main point of these memory cards
is that one can hook them up to the home computer and mount them like
normal disks. Now, how many computers can mount ext2? Not my Macs and
not the Windows boxes i know ...
BTW, ext2 isn't really the filesystem of choice for this kind of application.

 Ralf Mattes