[lug] Advice for a incoming Colorado newbie

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Jan 5 13:20:22 MST 2004

At 01:05 PM 1/5/2004, D. Stimits wrote:

>If you get cable, then owning your own modem is less expensive in the
>long run.

I guess it depends on how frequently you switch providers/technology. My
experience (having gone through 56K, ISDN, SDSL, and now Comcast cable) is
that I switch technology more frequently than every 2 years, and the
payback period for a cable modem was longer than that. Also, even though
Comcast told me they would charge $3/mo rent for the cable modem, they have
never actually done so :)

I'm not unhappy with Comcast. As you can see above, I've sought a decent
technology base for a long time (living 7 miles from the nearest Central
Office). Comcast has no more outages than anyone else, and they repair them
pretty quickly. They're not always asking me when I call if I've rebooted
the machine, and the techs who come out at least recognize that the machine
is running Linux.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.