[lug] Installing XWindows

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Fri Jan 9 15:12:15 MST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:03:05PM -0700, Michael Wegener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible/advisable to install x windows on a console-only box? I can't
> seem to find any docs on this, which makes me wonder it it's too painful to
> try. The reason I want to do this invloves a long trail of tears in trying
> to get an existing web/app server to connect to a new Oracle9i db server, in
> which the last recourse I can think of now before rebuilding the db box is
> to upgrade the java JDK and drivers. Unfortunately, it seems that the JDK
> assumes you are running a windows system on Linux.

It is entirely possible, and you don't even have to do
anything special.  Just install the X-Windows system and
you're finished.  The only difference is you don't configure
X-Windows as you'll never actually run an X server on that
machine.  All these programs need is the X libraries, not
the X server.

Note, however, that if you are running any applications that
have a GUI interface, you'll need to be connected to an X
server on *some* machine, though it doesn't have to be
*that* machine.  Just set your DISPLAY environment variable
as appropriate and allow outside connections to the
specified X server (e.g. xhost +).

--David