[lug] Unable to ping netbios names from linux

Budyanto Himawan budyanto_himawan at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 11:31:51 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm running Redhat 9.0 and have another windows xp.

I have set up samba on linux and I'am able to share
linux directories with my windows xp. I can also
ping the linux server from then windows xp but I can't
do the reverse. I can't ping xp from linux by name.

I have set up xp to use the ip of the linux server for
its WINS server.

smb.conf is set with the following:
wins support = yes
wins proxy = yes

>From what I've read this should be sufficient to be
able to let linux ping netbios names. Since that
doesn't work I've also tried populating lmhosts with
ip and netbios name of xp and pass it with -H arg to
nmbd.

That still didn't work.

=====
Budyanto Himawan