[lug] Re: RAM based files, file systems"

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Feb 7 16:29:43 MST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 04:57:01PM -0700, Steve Sullivan wrote:
>With hard disk, total time:  87.8 sec
>With ramfs, total time:       0.035 sec
>
>That's a speedup factor of 2500!

Not suprising...  Hard drives tend to have average access times of
around 10ms, and RAM tends to have average access times of 10ns.  That's
a 1000x improvement right there.

Sean
--
 But I woke up when somone slammed the door so hard I fell outta bed
 screaming "Mama's little baby loves shortnin' bread".  -- Aerosmith