[lug] PoPToP Performance

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Mon Feb 16 12:42:26 MST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:37:10AM -0700, Ryan Wheaton wrote:

> I've finally gotten my PoPToP VPN server to accept connections
> correctly, and all seems to be dandy, but it is unbelievably slow.  I
> couldn't get exact Mb/s times, but when I tried to copy the CentOS ISOs
> (about 1.8Gb) to a file share over the VPN, it was going to take about
> 23 hours.  I have a cable modem at home, so i'd expect that performance

You're doing this from Windows? That sounds a little slow, but not too slow.

I have a friend with a cable modem (150 KBps) in Boulder. He also uses a VPN connection to the office server (Linux with PPTP).

We timed some 5 megabyte copy operations. Ftp over the VPN runs around
135-140 KBps, while copying from Windows runs at around 50 KBps. Database
access is painful - Goldmine takes 20 minutes to open.  I suspect the
Windows copy (and database) issue is due to latency - there are more packets going back and forth, with a delay of .1-.2 second for each round trip.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)