[lug] how can I configure custom routes through dhcpd

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 17 19:54:58 MST 2004

Zan Lynx wrote:
[...]
> Pick one default gateway.  On that gateway define the routes for the
> subnets.  When a client attempts to route through the gateway, if the
> gateway knows of a shorter route for the client, the gateway should
> (unless you disabled it) send an ICMP Redirect message back to the
> client.  This Redirect message will cause the client to create a route
> to the correct gateway.

The ISC dhclient uses a script to configure everything with the
parameters it gets from DHCP.  If you can stick in extra routes you
might be able to adjust the script to set them.

OTOH, and especially if there is more than one route to your 192.x
subnets, you might want to run gated on your clients and use that for
the routes rather than DHCP.

Dave